Prepare for Snow-The Met Office Forecasts Heavy Snowfall Across The UK

3 mn read

In March 2023, the Met Office released about 40 hours of snow warnings, expected to hit much of the UK. According to the comprehensive forecast, Scotland, Northern England, and Wales residents should expect snowfall in the coming weeks. The forecast also added that the heavy snowfall might cause many disruptions towards the end of the month, and thus, residents should be on the lookout. The Met Office forecasts that the snow could develop more widely than expected across the danger zones towards the weekend as a possibly quite deep region of low-pressure moves across the UK.

In the forecast, the Met Office also mentioned that North Wales, Northern Ireland, and Northern England are expected to be hit hard by these conditions towards the end of the week. In several areas, the total snowfall is expected to be around 5cm to 10cm, with around 15cm to 20cm of snowfall expected in the “danger zones.” High-elevation regions such as North Pennies, Southern Uplands, Southern Highlands, and higher regions of the Central Belt are expected to accumulate more than 30cm of snowfall. Strong winds are also expected to accompany this heavy snowfall which might lead to strange weather phenomena and drifting of lying snow.

Steven Keates, Deputy Chief Metrologist at the Met Office, said that the impactful weather would continue midweek as the mild air meets cold air with more snow, ice, wind, and rain towards the end of the month. As of Wednesday, Steven said snowfall would be more thorough in the southern regions of England and Wales and that snow levels would begin to reduce by a couple of centimetres. The Met Office also forecasted that snowfall risks would be more focused on the northern and central parts of the UK towards end month. However, Steven was keen to mention that hand-picking the region that would receive the heaviest snowfall was impossible. Steven added that it was vital for residents to be up to date with all the current information regarding the snowfall as The Met Office will provide further warnings and updates.

Other than snow, the other menace that might hinder travelling activities is ice. The Met Office has predicted that temperatures might fall below -15 degrees, thus hindering most travelling activities. By Thursday last week, more than 20 flights ready for departure had been affected. The National Rail also said that the trains might be affected towards the end of the weekend if the weather persisted. Currently, the Southeastern services have been receiving constant delays. The Met Office has also warned drivers to postpone unnecessary drives for the week. This comes after snowy showers caused lorries to be trapped in the heavy snow, forcing A3 in Survey to close down. Some rural areas in the UK are expected to be isolated by the prevailing bad weather conditions. The Met Office also gave an alert about possible power cuts.

In Altnaharra, temperature readings fell as low as -160C on Thursday morning, making it the coldest night of the year. Furthermore, it was also the coldest night recorded since March 2010. The Met Office expects the temperature to be around -130C on Friday morning in the same location. Following this update, the United Kingdom Health Security Agency also issued a Level 3 Cold Weather warning to all residents in England. However, this warning is set to be reviewed before long. Karen Heller, a resident of Southwest England, is worried about how she will pay her high energy bills this winter as the country experiences record-low temperatures. In an exclusive interview with EatNews, Karen discussed how her now working from home has driven up her already high electrical prices even further.

The head of Extreme Events and Health Protection at the United Kingdom Health Security Agency-Dr Agostinho Sousa, urged residents of the affected areas to be close and check in with their friends and family members who might be vulnerable to cold weather as such extreme weather conditions might have deadly effects on their health. Dr Sousa added that elderly citizens with any pre-existing condition should have their houses warmed to at least 180. Buckingham Palace also announced that Queen Consort Camilla was forced to abandon her travel plans to Newmarket due to the persistent weather.

Ultimately, with the Met Office predicting significant snowfall across the UK, planning and implementing safety measures to reduce potential interruptions is critical. It’s important to stay current on weather conditions and heed local authorities’ instructions, as the anticipated snowfall may result in travel delays, power outages, and possible property damage. Also, in the event of any unanticipated power outages or protracted disruption, it’s imperative to have an emergency kit ready, including cosy clothing, blankets, food, and water. We can secure our safety and lessen the effects of the impending snowstorm by taking these precautions and being informed.

A large number are flocking to the Eat News for quality news every day, and readers in Taiwan, United States, United Kingdom, India, Japan, France, Pakistan, China, Malaysia and more, now support us financially.

In these chaotic, perilous times, an independent, truth-seeking news organisation like the Eat News is essential. We believe everyone deserves access to trustworthy information. That’s why we choose to keep our reporting open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.

The Eat News has no shareholders or billionaire owner, meaning our journalism is free from influence and vested interests – this makes us different. Our editorial independence and autonomy allows us to provide fearless investigations and analysis of those with political and commercial power. We can give a voice to the oppressed and neglected, and help bring about a brighter, fairer future.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. You have the power to support us through these volatile economic times and enable our journalism to reach more people, in all countries.

Every contribution, however big or small, makes a difference. Support the Eat News for better reporting.

Support the Eat News ➔

By

Sasha Webster is an Eat News correspondent in the UK. Her writing and professional background as a publicist for close to 10 years gave her an advantage in her work. She can produce bespoke website content that is useful to the target audience; matters business and finance, technology, real estate, healthcare, as well as entertainment pieces.

By

Eat News is a Taiwanese digital media, analyzes current events and issues through column articles, videos, visual aid, and exclusive interviews.