4 mn readOn Nov 3, during the long march of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf towards Islamabad, former Prime Minister Imran Khan faced a murder attempt; and got injuries in his legs after the firing incident in Wazirabad city of Punjab province, but according to doctors, his condition is out of danger.
PTI’s long march started on 28th Oct, and it was heading toward the federal capital. On the 7th day of the long march (in Wazirabad) a gunman opened fire on the container where the leadership of PTI including Imran Khan was present. One person died and 14 were injured in the firing incident, which is described by PTI leadership as a murderous attack. Chief Minister Punjab Mr. Pervez Elahi said that a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) has been formed to investigate the incident of firing but “apparently the attackers were more than one”.
EAT News has talked to a few people who were present on the top of the container along with Imran Khan while he was attacked. “We were at Wazirabad, everything was normal on the container, it was the plan that after a while Imran Khan will address the public gathering. Former federal ministers Mr. Hammad Azhar and Mr. Fawad Chaudhry were also present with Imran Khan. All of them were responding to the public by waving their hands when suddenly the sounds of gunshots were heard. Imran Khan’s security guard took him down. No one understood what happened. Imran Khan remained on the container for a few minutes and then he was taken down and given medical aid. After immediate medical attention, Imran Khan came out of the container, waved to his supporters, and was transferred to the vehicle then he was shifted to Shaukat Khanum Hospital Lahore” PTI workers told EAT News.
During the firing incident, the man who stopped the alleged attacker is PTI activist Mr. Ibtisam, who has been hailed as a hero. He claimed that he had been watching the assailant for a long time. “When he pulled out a pistol, I moved toward him. At the time he fired the first bullet I caught and dropped him down, then police arrested the attacker”, Ibtisam told the local media.
After the initial medical examination of Imran Khan, Dr. Faisal Sultan, CEO of Shaukat Khanum Hospital gave more information about the bullet that hit Imran Khan. Speaking to media representatives outside the hospital on Thursday evening, he said that during the initial examination, X-rays and scans were done, which showed that there were bullet fragments in his legs. According to Dr. Faisal Sultan, the lower bone of Imran Khan’s right leg, i.e. the tibia bone, has been seen to be cracked, meaning the edge of the lower bone of the leg is broken. Dr. Faisal Sultan said that all relevant specialists are examining Imran Khan and he is being treated according to their opinion.
On Friday, Nov 4, From the hospital, Imran Khan while speaking to the media criticized political parties PDM and the establishment. Former Prime Minister Imran Khan said that he will call as soon as he recovers. “PTI workers will go out on the streets and the protest should continue until the resignation of 3 people, including PM Shahbaz Sharif, Interior Minister Rana Sana Ullah, and a senior security person” Imran Khan added. He asked Chief Justice of Pakistan Umar Atta Bandyal to take suo moto action on the incident. Addressing Chief Justice Umar Atta Bandial, Imran Khan said that it is his responsibility to ensure the rule of law in the country.
On the other hand, sources claim that there are differences between former Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chief Minister Punjab Pervez Elahi over the FIR issue. Chief Minister Punjab Mr. Pervaiz Elahi expressed his displeasure at the behavior of Imran Khan as the ex-premier wants to register the FIR as per his wish.
Police sources told EAT News that the main accused Naveed was arrested at the crime scene. On the tip of information shared by Naveed, two more suspects have been arrested. Accused Waqas and Sajid were apprehended from Wazirabad, they provided a pistol to the accused Naveed. Police sources said that the pistol with which Imran Khan was attacked was without a license and was illegal.
During a press conference in Islamabad, Federal Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah once again strongly condemned the murderous attack on Chairman PTI, calling it a case of religious extremism. Mr. Rana Sanaullah said, “We are suffering from religious extremism, and now the seeds of political extremism are also being sown”. He said that during the long march, there have been 4 deaths so far, and the PTI is taking the path of destruction. “We consider Imran Khan as a political opponent and not an enemy”, he added.
Meanwhile, clashes between PTI workers and law enforcement agencies were reported in different cities of the country. Faizabad, the junction point between the capital Islamabad and its twin city Rawalpindi was the key hub of conflict. PTI workers protested against the attack on Imran Khan. Angry workers pelted stones at the police at Faizabad. The federal police fired tear gas to disperse the protesters while the police arrested several PTI workers. According to the spokesperson, Islamabad Police is identifying the evil elements, they will take legal action with the help of Rawalpindi Police.
In Lahore, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf workers set fire to Mall Road. PTI workers burnt tires outside the gate of the Governor’s House on Mall Road. The protesters broke the lights and security cameras on the doors while the workers holding the PTI flag climbed the gate of the Governor House.
Independent analysts are considering this event very dangerous to the country, series of violent protests erupted in the country which is increasing political unrest in Pakistan. Such kinds of events are not only damaging to the political fiber of the society but will also harm Pakistan’s reputation on the international level. Moreover, it will also create more difficulties for foreign investment in the country.
A large number are flocking to the Eat News for quality news every day, and readers in Taiwan, United States, United Kingdom, India, Japan, France, Pakistan, China, Malaysia and more, now support us financially.
In these chaotic, perilous times, an independent, truth-seeking news organisation like the Eat News is essential. We believe everyone deserves access to trustworthy information. That’s why we choose to keep our reporting open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
The Eat News has no shareholders or billionaire owner, meaning our journalism is free from influence and vested interests – this makes us different. Our editorial independence and autonomy allows us to provide fearless investigations and analysis of those with political and commercial power. We can give a voice to the oppressed and neglected, and help bring about a brighter, fairer future.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. You have the power to support us through these volatile economic times and enable our journalism to reach more people, in all countries.
Every contribution, however big or small, makes a difference. Support the Eat News for better reporting.
Support the Eat News ➔